Wednesday, November 5, 2014

More Western Fibre Arts


Since my gig out west was brought to me by Focus on Fibre Arts Alberta - versus just a rug hooking guild - it stands to reason that there were lots of other fibre arts around to see. Incredible fibre art and not only as eye candy, but truly inspirational for someone itching to try something new.

There was lot of "show and tell" in class, as people brought in some of their other fibre arts to share. Here are a few - pretty amazing.

This felted cat was shared by Charis.


Pieced and stitched beautifully by Karen.

Another of Karen's pieces - pieced fibre and hooking.
An amazing pieced and stitched piece of canola fields by Armande.

In an earlier post, I shared some of the winners in the Prairies show. I was lucky enough to see the real deal on one of my days off and took some photos of some of the pieces. Then realized that they are all professionally captured on the FFAA website. Here is a link so you can go and see for yourself.  You will be glad  you went, trust me.

As with every show, it is so much better to see the actual show. Some pieces were just mind-boggling when you saw them in person, and it was amazing to see all the different fibre arts displayed together.


It is a hooked piece by Lynn Roth (not Faye Swenson as per the credit on the website). It is called "Blizzard" and it is hooked deer in the headlights during a swirling blizzard. Notice the windshield wiper and the seat belt, as well as the red metal window frame. The needle felted swirls of snow are amazing. It was a very powerful piece when you saw it in real life.

Every detail of this exhibit was steeped in talent and stitchery.  This is one of the fibre posters at the entrance to the show. Even they were quilted!!


And as if this was not enough to totally whet my appetite for a bunch of new endeavours, I was the lucky recipient of two pieces that are outside the rug hooking zone - wet felting and detailed stitchery and box making.

An incredible felted bag made by registrar Vicki. I love everything about it.
It is the twin to her bag that I admired so much. Lucky me!!

A little fabric covered paper box, hand stitched and assembled by Jean,
who excels at every fibre art known to man. Every little kernel is outlined.
Before I close this post, here was another western phenomenon that I really loved.
Worm sharing!!! In both workshops, people brought big containers full of worms and offered them to all in the group to use at will.

Definitely food for thought of doing a workshop that is just about using worms. No lack of choice here.






No comments:

IT'S NOT HARD, IT'S NEW!

I love this expression. So much so that I bought a t-shirt that says so. I bought this from a knitwear designer I started following a few ye...